Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Hood rats, really?...

I don't follow a lot of celebrity gossip and the Rhianna, Chris Brown situation is no different. I was struck, however by the comment by Perez Hilton, as retold by Elizabeth Méndez Berry at New American Media:

“You cannot take the hood outta these rats. Enough said.”
I don't know if Chris Brown is from the 'hood' nor do I know if he has engaged in previous behavior that would establish him as a 'rat' but I more unsure, as to Perez Hilton's expertise at complex sociological issues so as to know what is behaviors of young African-American males are innate and immutable. I guess Hiltons' point is hood rats whoever they are, are not worth... Worth respect? Time? Investment? Understanding?

I wonder.

Certainly if someone is always going to behave violently no matter what I suppose there is no reason for hope and therefore no reason for continued social investment. Perez is a powerful intellect for his ability to forecast the outcomes to such complex social relations and behaviors. If only we were all so intellectually limber.

Hear Elizabeth talk about this over at the NewBlackMan. Thanks go to Mark Anthony Neal Professor of Black Popular Culture in the Department of African and African American Studies at Duke University.

No comments: